Monday, March 9, 2009

MY views on Euthanasia

I don't think that euthanasia is a legitimite way to end someone's life, with three exceptions. One exception is if a person in a vegetative or coma-like state won't recover. Another exception is if the person in a vegetative or coma-like state has a chance to recover, but will most likely have disabilities that will cause them to suffer. My final exception is if the person is in so much anguish that they can't take it anymore and they say that they want to be euthanized so that they can attain peace and rest. Otherwise, the sick person has to live with a painful burden. Other than for these reasons, I don't think that euthanasia is a legitimate way to end someone's life. This is because if there is a slight chance that a person will be able to recover with no unwanted side effects (like disabilities), then they should be given a chance to be able to recover. Also, even if someone else says that a sick person should be euthanized, they shouldn't be euthanized if the sick person says that they don't want to be euthanized. I believe that the decision to be euthanized rests on the sick person alone. If the sick person can make the decision, then nobody else should be able to pass judgement on who should be euthanized. If both people agree that euthanasia is the best option, then it is also okay, since the decision is mutual. This is why I don't believe that euthanasia is a legitimite way to end someone's life, with 3 exceptions.

1 comment:

Dakota said...

Paul, I agree with the exceptions that if a person has to live with anguish, they should be put to death. Like you, I believe that a person should have a choice to die if they are in extreme pain. Euthanasia provides a peaceful way to die.